The Easy Trick To Get Garlic Smell off Your Hands (It Costs Zero Dollars)

A hand holding a garlic clove with a knife chopping it on a cutting board
Simply Recipes / Getty Images

I love garlic. When a recipe calls for a clove or two, you’ll often find me tossing in extra. I often have jars of garlic confit, pickled garlic, and roasted garlic hanging out in my fridge. As much as I love the stuff, I hate the smell it can leave behind on my fingers and breath. I don’t need to be reminded again and again of the meal I ate all those hours ago.

While I don’t have anything new to add to the garlic breath conversation (my tactic tends to be mouthwash and clove gum), I have found the solution for garlic hands. Luckily, it doesn’t cost a thing. 

My Trick for Removing Garlic Smells

Every time I crush or mince garlic, I rinse off the juices and reach for the nearest hunk of metal. You don’t need any special equipment—chances are you have plenty around your kitchen. A quick glance around my kitchen yields a stainless steel fridge, dishwasher, tea kettle, and sink, as well as chef’s knives.

The only trick is your hands need to be wet. Rub your wet hands, focusing on the fingers, back and forth on the metal surface. Rinse again (or better yet, wash with soap), and give a sniff. If you still get a garlic scent, repeat, rubbing more thoroughly this time.

Fresh garlic with the cloves exposed and set on a wooden background.
Simply Recipes / Alison Bickel

I tend to use the sides of my kitchen sink if it’s nice and clean, or on the sides of a chef's knife. That way I don’t leave funny-looking streaks all over my appliances. If you use a knife, use a big one and rub your fingers near the handle on the blunt end to ensure you don’t cut yourself.

If you end up wiping your hands on the fridge or stove, just give the appliance a wipe with a clean dishtowel afterward and no one will be the wiser.

Why Does It Work?

Unfortunately, the scientific community is busy solving bigger problems, so there aren’t peer-reviewed studies available to explain the science. It is generally believed that the sulfuric, scent-causing compounds left on your hands by garlic bind with molecules in the metal alloy, transferring them from you to the stainless steel.

It’s the only method I’ve ever found that works. I even have a stainless steel bar by my sink that makes rubbing away garlic (and onion and spicy pepper) scents a breeze. It’s shaped like a bar of soap and is therefore easier to maneuver.

The next time you’re mincing, crushing, or chopping garlic, give this tip a try.



https://ift.tt/gvOlWVf https://ift.tt/usBaLgZ

Comments