Trader Joe's Just Brought Back My All Time Favorite Pumpkin Treat

Trader Joe's Store Front
Simply Recipes / Photo Illustration by Wanda Abraham

I have a confession to make. I am not a pumpkin spice girl. PSLs do nothing for me, and I cringe a little when a waterfall of pumpkin spice offerings hits the market as temperatures stay in the mid-90s in the Northeast. 

I have nothing against pumpkin in general—I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, or really hearty pumpkin soup. But I will go out on a limb and say absolutely no one needs pumpkin spice hummus. No one. I think my fundamental issue with many of these products is they lack the actual pumpkin. They may be spiced like a pumpkin pie, but where is the actual pumpkin flavor? Rarely there.

Given my cynical view on all things PSL adjacent, I can usually safely peruse the seasonal section of Trader Joe’s without much temptation. However, recently I spotted the iconic white paper packaging of the one and only O & H Danish Bakery Danish Kringle in the bakery section.

In my household, the holiday season is not complete without the original flavor kringle. I am Danish on my mother’s side and I’ve always found this product to be incredibly nostalgic, not to mention delicious. The one I spotted at TJ’s was Pumpkin Caramel Flavor, which had me a bit conflicted. I noticed many other shoppers hurriedly tucking them away in their carts, so based on good old peer pressure alone, I bought one for myself. 

Danish Kringle from Trader Joe's
Simply Recipes / Molly Adams

Why I Love Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Caramel Danish Kringle

Like many times before, Trader Joe’s had me enjoying a slice of humble pie AND snacking on a super delicious pumpkin-spiced treat all at the same time. This pumpkin caramel-flavored kringle is spectacular, and the best part is I could see and taste pumpkin. In fact, pumpkin is the second ingredient on the ingredient list. 

The filling is well-spiced and also has a nice note of deep caramel flavor. It is pretty sweet but balanced out by the buttery pastry surrounding it as well as the nutty pecans adorning the top. 

Danish Kringle slices
Simply Recipes / Molly Adams

How To Enjoy Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Caramel Danish Kringle

The first time I tried it, I had a slice cold, which was great. But throwing it in the air fryer for a few minutes the next day was amazing. The top layer of pastry got super flaky, and the glaze combined with the pecans turned into a sticky bun situation which is not to be missed. 

This treat is only available at Trader Joe’s for a limited time, and based on how I saw it flying off the shelves, I suspect it'll get harder to find. The great news is that it freezes incredibly well, so if you are lucky enough to find it, grab two. 

This would be fantastic to serve on Thanksgiving morning when the thought of having to make one more meal for guests feels far too daunting. While I may not be sipping on a pumpkin-flavored coffee anytime soon, this is a seasonal treat I’ll be looking forward to year after year!



https://ift.tt/z2MDptL https://ift.tt/w2CvboN

Comments